Administrator Knowledge Base
Dokeos is powerful eLearning suite with 7 main components:
Dokeos MANAGER is a complete and flexible Learning Management System, and the starting point for managing your elearning portal.
Thanks to an intuitive interface, you can manage your training curriculum in a few clicks.
- Manage training curriculum
- Deliver training to PCs, tablets and smart phones
Your Rapid Learning solution. With Dokeos AUTHOR, customized training content are built in a few clicks. Create self-learning modules from scratch or import your existing PowerPoint training material.
- Import and convert PowerPoint presentations
- Add voice overs, quizzes and videos
- Distribute to computers, tablets and smart phones
Validate and audit skills and competencies with Dokeos EVALUATION. Organize exams, build Individual Training Files and get ready for Quality audits, GxP programs and any kind of individual or global evaluation of the company’s performance and compliance.
- Organize exams and audits online
- Certify learners and deliver Individual Training Files
- Comply with Government regulatory requirements like the Electronic Signature
Simulate a real-life situation thanks to this amazing 3D rendering machine that will take care of all the visual aspects. Concentrate on your Key Performance Indicators and game scenario. Dokeos GAMES will do the rest.
- Develop training games without design expertise
- Generate immersive 3D environments in one click
- Assess your participants soft skills accurately
In case you plan to organize your training as a catalog or transform training into a center of profit through selling courses online, you may want to add this nice and marketing-oriented feature. It will transform your LMS into a training shop where each course or curriculum is a product for sale or for self-registration. Create your branded elearning marketplace and propose free or subscription-based learning resources.
- Organize a training catalog
- Sell courses online with credit card payment
- Promote training products and track visitors.
Dokeos LIVE is your video conferencing tool that lets you train remotely in real time, coach learners, share your desktop and communicate rapidly to 50 and more.
- Train remotely
- Coach learners one by one
- Address distributed audiences.
Use your private video channel to train employees and clients on demand. Upload videos, integrate them in your course scenario and offer your audience the comfort of a real-life learning experience.
- Distribute video content to any device : PC, tablet, smart phones
- HD full screen and full streaming
- Secure protection of your videos
How you design your Online Learning portal setup depends on your objectives and strategy. Here are three example scenarios for a portal setup. As your project is most probably a blend of these, the Dokeos team will be happy to help you refine your training strategy and adapt the tools correspondingly. Customization is in our DNA!
Your are the HR or training manager. Your company needs to train employees (sales, technical, quality, etc.). In this scenario, employees do NOT decide what courses they follow. Curriculums are defined by the HR or Training team on the basis of the personnel’s level, department, business unit, diploma or any additional criteria.
- Choose your graphical design style from Administration> Portal> Configuration settings> Stylesheets
- Add your logo (use any PNG image 960px X 120-to-300px) and homepage photo / video / Text
- Create PROFILE FIELDS (Administration > Users > Profiling) to organize the users list in Dokeos matching your LDAP or Microsoft© Active Directory (alternative : connect Dokeos to your AD). E.g. add a profile field named “department”
- Import users on the basis of these additional PROFILE FIELDS. E.g. add a « department » column in your .CSV file
- Create courses, build content and scenarios (see Trainer Manual) E. g. filter employees by department.
Below : top banner and homepage image.
Below : grouping users by profile fields.
Top logo banner size: A 960 X 150pixels:
Portal home image: 720 x 540 pixels
Your company has various skills domains including legal affairs, regulatory standards, office productivity, hygiene and safety; operational; sales strategy; logistics; English as a second language etc.
Below : a training catalog made with Dokeos SHOP
Instead of organizing your training curriculum, you want to build a complete catalog of skills to let everyone select his/her own knowledge blocks on demand and on the job. In addition, you want to mix compulsory curriculums with self-enrollment to relevant courses.
- Illustrate each course with an image : Enter the course > Settings > Image upload and resize
- Add Course Categories to sort courses in catalog, for instance by department (Sales, Technical, Quality, etc): Administration > Course > Categories
- Link each course to a category : Administration > Courses > Edit course (pencil icon)
- Build a training catalog with Dokeos SHOP : Administration > Shop and take a few minutes to activate settings one by one. Don’t worry about online payment option. You can deactivate this one later on
- Fill training products description one by one, set as FREE (of charge) : Administration > Shop > Products : activate the EYE icon then click on Pencil icon to fill course description for the Catalog
- Edit top tabs to display the CATALOG tab: Administration > Portal > Menu links > Header
Below : The training product description in Dokeos SHOP
You are the HR or the Quality Manager of your company and you need to :
- Prepare an external Audit of the company (FDA, EMEA, ISO etc.)
- Improve the evaluation of the company’s Key Performance Indicators
- Certify skills and build a gap analysis of your company’s training needs.
Dokeos LMS and Dokeos EVALUATION offer a rich palette of tools to undertake these. Pay special attention to data; organize, sort and filter data at start in preparation of the reporting you are looking for. This includes :
- Users data (filtering users by groups, subgroups, tags etc.)
- Performance data : identify the competencies you are evaluating (Products knowledge, Assertivity, Negotiation, Procedures) It might prove useful to move from a Course List to a Competencies list so as to increase reporting relevance
- Periods of time (so that you can compare before / after, from X to Y etc.)
- Any other parameter that you see fit.
Below : a possible homepage display for your KPI evaluation portal
The evaluation process is complex and will vary according to your company’s expectations and core business,
evaluation methodology and the resources you invest. A standard evaluation may include the following steps.
- Build a nice portal home (see Design 1)
- Add profile fields to sort users (see Design 1)
- Create curriculums paying attention on start date – end date (see Design 1)
- Create courses, enter each course and deactivate all the tools that are not related to your evaluation. You may end up with these tools only : Scenario + Quiz + Assignments + Evaluation + Survey
- Build quizzes, evaluations (including KPI evaluations), surveys and attach each of the relevant activities to the course scenario (see Dokeos EVALUATION manual)
- Create curriculums and attach groups of users to their curriculums. This will help you later with sorting reporting data by groups of users
A typical example is Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) performance evaluation, where you may want to add one SOP PDF in scenario step 1 and one basic
- Multiple Choice evaluation quiz in step 2 to check if the employee has read and understood the SOP. Dokeos offers electronic signature to help you comply with federal regulatory requirements
- Invite users into the evaluation process through Automatic Emails : Admin > Portal > Automatic emails
- Remind users through individualized email feedback : A course > Announcements > Scenario based > Select the target group
- Enter reporting (top tab) and select the relevant data (sorting by curriculum) / course / quiz
/ face-to-face / learners) and generate Individual Training Files etc. Print your reports or export to Excel.
Below : Individual competencies reporting.
To end up with this nice reporting, we initially have each competence correspond to a different quiz and Course scenario step.
- Green = criteria satisfied
- Light gray = activity was not started yet
- Orange = the trainee satisfied the criteria but there are still issues with competence
- Red = the criteria was not satisfied
The key to success for a good and relevant reporting is to define a clear strategy in terms of:
- What do I want to analyze? SOPs, KPI, Competencies, Skills, Groups performance, Individual performance, Comparison Before/After, so that you get at the end of the process what you prepared initially.
- How do I implement my strategy into Dokeos to organize data? Focus on what the feature delivers and understand how it corresponds to your goal. Adapt your strategy. For instance, if you are not happy with questions categories in a quiz, why not create 2 quizzes for the 2 categories of questions?
Dokeos offers many various question types designed for objective self-evaluation. However, for the metrics of your reporting, you may want to focus on plain multiple choice. Exercising and Evaluation follow two different paths. If you build things with theseconcepts in mind, you will end up with the reporting that will provide your company with the data it needs.
Dokeos’ user interface follows the recent evolutions of web design. It is fully responsive, intuitively designed, is user-friendly and works across all platforms and operating systems.
Dokeos portal administration is handled through the Admin Panel. Only users with an Admin profile have access to the Admin Panel and it is located in your top tabs.
Start with your portal homepage to define a visual identity. The homepage is divided into various sections sized in pixels.
TOP BANNER : 960 X 150
TOP TABS HOME | CATALOG | COURSES | REPORTING| ADD MENU LINKS
SLIDER 720X240 (OPTIONAL)
ADD IMAGE, TEXT, VIDEO
FOOTER | ADD MENU LINKS
Go to: Admin > Portal > Stylesheets and select the stylesheet of your choice : Black tablet / Red tablet / Grey tablet etc or ask us to build a custom CSS stylesheet.
Prepare the top banner.png image (960 x 150) in Photoshop or similar software, then upload the image.
Prepare the (720×540 px) Central Zone text or video or icentralzone.png image.
Insert through Home > Edit home > Edit.
Tip : make a screen shot of the portal after selecting the stylesheet and pick its color to create your Top banner and Central Zone images. Dark blue in this example.
Add or remove links in Top tab, Login Zone and Footer. Start by creating additional pages through Home > Edit Home > New pageand edit the page settings so as to hook it to top tabs, footer or left menu. Then enter Admin > Portal > Menu links and edit Header / Side menu / Footer to simplify the interface as much as possible.
For instance, do not activate Calendar and Social Network if you don’t need them.
If you plan to build courses for mobile users, keep in mind a few tips :
- Tablets are the ideal mobile platform because its screen is larger compared to a smart phone.
- Upload MP4 videos no wider than 480 pixels
- Replace any Ms-Office documents with their web equivalent. A Word document should become a PDF or a Dokeos BOOK. A PowerPoint should be converted into a module ;
- Build your scenario with simple flat images and less words. For instance replace “Step 1 : Presentation of our main objectives” with “Objectives”
Dokeos AUTHOR includes a Powerpoint converter transforming your presentations into Mobile-compliant displays. However, original Powerpoint content is still in your hands. Consider simple diagrams, big fonts, no header or footer, remove or limit margins
Depending on the size of your company, your corporate learning team size will vary. Typical profiles (frequently merged into one, two or three individuals) include :
Project manager : he/she defines the project strategy, planning, budget and follow-up meetings. Usually the Training manager / HR manager / Quality manager. Give him/her the rights of Supervisor or Admin in Dokeos.
Portal admins : imports users, creates courses, handles portal homepage display, admin panel setup configuration and users troubleshooting. Usually undertaken by the IT manager or a member of his/her team. Try to have less than 5 and more than 1 portal admin.
Content builders / Authors / Trainers. These people create content, build quizzes, PDF documents, convert Powerpoint presentations into online modules, upload videos, Articulate Storyline modules etc. and story board the course scenario. Role in Dokeos : trainer.
Content experts. In some projects, content experts build accurate documentation, quizzes and videos but they do not publish them online in Dokeos. In this case, ensure that documents like Word, Powerpoint, PDFs etc. are based on templates so as to ensure corporate branding and good communication. Ensure frozen formats like Flash, PDF, Articulate Storyline SCORM packages or MP4 Videos come along with their source documents, so that you can still edit them. Role in Dokeos : none
Tutors / Coaches. Once content is online, trainees need feedback, interactions, Q/As. Decide whether you want content builders / content experts or a different profile in the company to undertake the pedagogical interaction with learners. Role in Dokeos : curriculum tutor.
Trainees. Employees, partners, clients are your target audience. Ensure you import them with additional profile description columns in your CSV file / Active Directory service. So that you can sort and filter to generate groups etc. Role in Dokeos : Learner.
Depending on your company’s organization, you may want to add extra profiles like Department manager, hospital manager, business unit manager, etc. There are solutions for that, especially once you rely on training curriculums where you can add curriculums categories etc. Or when you add a column in your users list to link each employee to his immediate supervisor.
To help you organize the Profiles structure, Dokeos uses several different profiles:
SEES EVERYTHING (INCLUDING REPORTING). DOES NOT EDIT ANYTHING
SEES EVERYTHING. EDITS EVERYTHING. EQUIVALENT TO « GOD » IN IT SYSTEMS. ACCESS TO THE ADMIN PANNEL TO MANAGE USERS, COURSES, CURRICULUMS, CMS (PORTAL DISPLAY AND OPTIONS) AND SHOP / CATALOGUE.
IMPORTS USERS AND ENROLS THEM INTO COURSES AND CURRICULUMS.
CREATES COURSE CONTENT AND MANAGES COURSE SCENARIO AND DISPLAY
INTERACTS WITH LEARNERS (ANNOUNCEMENTS, REPORTING, FEEDBACK)
FOLLOWS COURSES, CURRICULUMS, ALONG COURSE SCENARIOS. ACCESSS TO HIS/HER OWN REPORTING, ADDS COURSES TO HIS/HER COURSE LIST THROUGH THE CATALOG IF ANY.
A PERSON THAT HAS NO LOGIN TO ENTER THE PORTAL HAS ACCESS TO PORTAL HOME AND CATALOG (IF ANY) AND CAN (IF ALLOWED) ADD COURSES TO BASKET , SELF–REGISTER AND ADD COURSES TO HER/HIS COURSE LIST.
Alice is the Quality Manager and is starting the training project. She has the Supervisor rights and acts as the project manager, following the processes and the progress of the curriculums in the Reporting tool. Paul is the Admin. He imports lists of users in the system through CSV files or connects them to the Active Directory of the company. The company has 3 business units : in London, New York and Shanghai. In the Shanghai BU, Ping is the local manager. He has the Curriculum manager rights and enrolls the employees to the curriculums. Here’s more detail:
- A series of trainers (located in the 3 BU) build scenarios and upload content.
- Chang is Coach in the Shanghai BU. He supervises 30 people in this BU in the Shanghai New Recruits 2015 curriculum.
- Tien-Mu is a new employee. She was enrolled in Dokeos with the rights of Learner and takes part in this curriculum.
To modify a profile, login as Admin, enter the Administration panel and search for the name of the user. Access information attached to the user by clicking the pencil icon and change the rights through the « Profile » drop down menu
The description of the rights of Curriculums administrator and the Human Resources Manager (Supervisor) is achieved when these two roles are in their main function and they are not registered as a learner in a course. Keep in mind that to be named Curriculum tutor, a user must first have a Trainer role on the platform. The « Tutor » column below describes only the rights of the Tutor in the sessions, which has in addition the rights of a Trainer in his own courses.
|ACCESS TO TRAINING CATALOG|
|ACCESS TO WEBSITE HOME (CMS)|
|CREATE A COURSE|
BUILD CONTENT, CREATE SCENARIOS, SET UP INTERACTION TOOLS
|ACCESS TO CONTENT, FOLLOW SCENARIO, INTERACT|
|ADMIN COURSES : BACKUP, REPORTING, SETUP|
|ENROLL USERS TO PORTAL, COURSES AND CURRICULUMS|
|ADD COURSES AND ENROLL USERS IN A CURRICULUM|
|DISPLAY REPORTING TABLES|
IMPORTING USERS IN THE SYSTEM
You can import users four ways:
- One by one : Administration > Add a user form
- In batches : Administration > Users > Import
- Through a connection with your Active Directory : Administration > Portal > LDAP
- Through a web service connection to your HRMS (contact Dokeos to download the API)
Below : build your users list in Excel, then export to CSV
Whatever the purpose of your training portal, it is a good idea to organize data at start so as to help you later find what you are looking for.
Start by creating course categories : Admin >Courses > Course categories.
You can create as much sub-categories as needed. This will be particularly useful to:
• Build a training catalog for self-enrollment or SHOP-like training sales
• Sort reporting data
• Create curriculums
Portal settings let you decide if you want trainers to self-create courses or if you want to control course creation and outsource to them course content creation only.Consider adding Trainers to your Users list or editing some users to give them Trainers rights so that you can associate them to the courses you create. Note that this is not compulsory. A course can be authored by the Portal Admin and be associated with no trainer at all. To create a course give it :
- A name (don’t be too long)
- A course code like BUSINESS001 (optional)
- A trainer (optional)
- Associated trainers (optional) in case you need an authoring team
- A language (in case your portal is multilingual)
- A course category
- A confidentiality level from plain web access (e.g. a tutorial) to full security (company core business content)
- A maximum volume in Bytes: 5 Gb is recommended
- Ignore the other settings
Below : Course creation from the admin panel (note that you can allow trainers to create courses through a simplified course creation feature)
What makes Dokeos different to any other LMS is its powerful SCENARIO tool.
Below : a 5 steps scenario made of various rich-media activities
With Dokeos SCENARIO, you will be able to :
Build individualized learning paths for your learners
– Interact with them depending on their progress in the scenario
– Build individualized learning paths for your learners
– Interact with them depending on their progress in the scenario
– Follow their progress along the scenario in the reporting tool
The scenario displays on top of each course. Click on the SCENARIO button to edit it :
– Add steps, illustrate them, rename them
– Add activities into steps : presentations, videos, PDF, quizzes, exams, surveys, assignments, etc.
- Create a sequence with prerequisites to block the access to immediate supervisor information. More details in the Dokeos Trainer Manual.
Dokeos LMS includes 12 tool to help the trainer build rich-media content and sophisticated pedagogical interactions with its audience : Announcements, Documents, Modules, Quizzes, Wiki. In addition to these 12 tools, Dokeos offers the 6 add-ons of the Dokeos eLearning Suite : Author, Evaluation, Games, WebTV, etc.
Below : The 12 LMS trainer tools and 6 Add-ons of Dokeos eLearning Suite
Dokeos offers a rapid authoring solution. Best practices suggest that you proceed in 3 steps :
1. Use the Dokeos LMS tools to build rich content and sophisticated interactions
2. Create your scenario and link this content to the scenario step
3. Hide all or most of the tools closing the “EYE” icon. Participants will see your scenario only.
Make your courses even better using these additional tools found in your Admin Panel:
Find a course on the list
List courses, click on header topics to sort by category, trainer, etc.
All courses in the right-side list will be assigned to any user added to the portal
Exports the course list, not the content
Creates one empty course for each line in your CSV file
Add Users to Course
We recommend you not to add users to courses in direct but proceed in 2 steps: (1) Add one or many courses to a curriculum, then (2) enroll users to this curriculum. This way, you can delete the curriculum without deleting the course and you can recycle the course content from one year to the other, one group to the other and you get a better reporting view.
Import Users List
Adding users to courses in batches. See above. Not recommended.
Dokeos is a Learning Management System or LMS. But it is also a Content Management System or CMS. As a web app, Dokeos has a front end (a training website) and a back office (an admin panel). In the Portal section, you deal with the CMS functions of Dokeos : look and feel, templates, menus, security, news, languages, etc.
The Portal section deals with the complexity of your project. Imagine you need a multilingual portal in English, French and Spanish and want to decide whether Spanish users can access the English catalogue, you will need to activate these three languages and setup the catalogue to Multinational. Here is a table of the most strategic portal settings.
E-LEARNING PORTAL NAME
TILL NAME YOUR BROWSER TAB AND GOOGLE
WILL USE THIS TO INDEX YOUR WEBSITE.
PORTAL ADMINISTRATOR: E-MAIL
BY DEFAULT, AUTOMATIC EMAILS SENT FROM PORTAL WILL USE THIS EMAIL AS THE AUTHOR OF THE MESSAGE.
CLOSE THIS TO AVOID SELF–REGISTRATION FOR SECURITY REASONS.
DEFAULT HARD DISK SPACE
LIMITS MAX DATA IN EVERY COURSE IN CASE AUTHORS COMPLAIN INCREASE THIS VALUE.
GO TO THE COURSE DIRECTLY AFTER LOGIN
NO COURSE LIST IN CASE USER HAS ONLY ONE COURSE. IMPROVES NAVIGATION.
FORCE PASSWORD CHANGE AFTER FIRST LOGIN
A GOOD FEATURE IF YOU NEED TO IMPORT A LIST OF USERS AND GIVE EVERYONE THE SAME PASSWORD AT START.
IMPROVE SECURITY BY FORCING USERS INTO COMPLEX PASSWORDS.
MLDAP SERVER ADDRESS
CONNECT DOKEOS TO YOUR ACTIVE DIRECTORY
CONNECT DOKEOS TO YOUR CENTRAL AUTHENTICATION SYSTEM. FOR INSTANCE THROUGH THE PROTOCOL.
SELECT THE GRAPHICAL DESIGN OF YOUR CHOICE
BUILD AUTHORING TEMPLATES (AVATARS, STYLE, BACKGROUND ETC.). THEY WILL BE AVAILABLE FOR ANY AUTHOR IN THE SYSTEM.
NO-REPLY E-MAIL ADDRESS
MANAGE AUTOMATIC EMAILS GENERATED BY THE PORTAL SO THAT “NO REPLY EMAIL” RESPONSES ARE FORWARDED TO AN ADDRESS TO BE READ. EXPECT A LONG LIST OF NO-REPLY MESSAGES IF YOU SEND AUTOMATIC EMAILS, ANNOUNCEMENTS ETC. TO MANY.
DISPLAY CATALOG ON HOME PAGE
PUSH YOUR TRAINING CATALOG SALES TO PORTAL HOME
The My Customer Account is how to submit any request to Dokeos. You can ask for support, maximum users upgrade, software upgrades, etc.